The entire site can be experienced through self-guided tours available between 9:00 am and 3:15 pm daily. The drive to the upper mesa parking area takes approx. 15 minutes, the lower Mesa Village Trail takes approx. 30 minutes round trip and the upper Great House Mesa trail takes approx. 1 hour round trip. Our main entrance gates close at 4:30 pm and all vehicles must exit the monument by that time.
Suggested Tour times:
- Both trails: lower Mesa Village and upper Great House Pueblo trails – we suggest you start your tour no later than 2:30 pm.
- Upper Great House Pueblo trail only: we suggest you start your tour no later than 3:00 pm.
- Lower Mesa Village trail only: we suggest you start your tour no later than 3:15 pm.
These time allotments will allow you ample time to learn about the site from your self-guided tour brochure, take in the views and enjoy photo opportunities along the way.
There are two ways to enjoy an self-guided tour:
- Printed interpretive brochure
- Download the San Juan National Forest app before you arrive at Chimney Rock, purchase your self-guided tour at the Visitor cabin and receive a pin so you can use your own phone or device.