FULL MOON PROGRAM (2.5 hours)
The Full Moon Program occurs against the backdrop of the Great House Pueblo at the top of Chimney Rock Mesa. The program includes an informative lecture on topics specific to the Chimney Rock site, such as the Ancestral Puebloan culture, archaeoastronomy theories, or area geology. Then, guests watch the full moon rise to the music of Charles Martinez’ Native American flute. (This moon-rise does not occur between the spires.) You’ll be torn between looking west to see the spectacular sunset and focusing on the eastern mountain range to see the first sliver of moon. The program lasts approximately three hours including check-in, driving to the mesa top (2.5 miles up a winding dirt road with 20-mph speed limit – allow 15 minutes each way), and hiking to the Great House Pueblo. The quarter-mile trail to the Great House Pueblo has a 200-foot gain in elevation and exposure to heights and steep drop-offs. Please keep in mind that the lecture before the moon rises is 20-30 minutes in length, and the hike back down the high mesa occurs after dark. Parents are asked to closely supervise their children for the safety of all attendees. This program is recommended for ages 8 and up. Guests must enter through the Hwy 151 entry gate during the check-in period stated below; the gate will be locked at the end of that time. Tickets are $20 plus a booking fee and are non-refundable. In the event of cancellation due to inclement weather, rain checks will be available. For details, please call the Visitor Cabin (970-883-5359) 9:00 – 4:30 Mountain Time (May15-Sept.30.)
EARLY TOUR FULL MOON PACKAGE (3.5 hours)
If you’ve never been to Chimney Rock National Monument, take this opportunity to learn more about the people who lived at the wondrous site 1,000 years ago. This combination package begins at the upper parking lot with a one-hour guided tour of the one-third-mile paved Mesa Village Trail loop. The beautiful mountain views on this easy trail will lead you to a 44-foot diameter excavated Great Kiva, probably a community gathering place for those who lived at the site 1,000 years ago. Also on this trail is an excavated pit house, a typical home of the ancient Puebloans. Then guests will climb the Great House Pueblo Trail to join the Full Moon Program. Tickets are $25.00 plus booking fee and are non-refundable. Not suitable for children under 8 years old.
- Special Full Moon Eclipse Program-Sunday, May 15: Arrive for check-in 6:15-6:30pm.
- Monday, June 13: Arrive for check-in 5:30-5:45pm.
- Tuesday, July 12: Arrive for check-in 5:30-5:45pm.
- Thursday, August 11: Arrive for check-in 5:30-5:45pm.
- Saturday, September 10: Arrive for check-in 5:15-5:30pm.
FULL MOON PROGRAM DATES
FOR ALL FULL MOON PROGRAMS:
- Special Full Moon Eclipse Program-Monday, May 16: Arrive for check-in & drive-plus-hike to program location at 6:45-7:00pm.
- Monday, June 13: Arrive for check-in & drive-plus-hike to program location at 6:15- 6:30pm.
- Tuesday, July 12: Arrive for check-in & drive-plus-hike to program location at 6:15- 6:30pm.
- Thursday, August 11: Arrive for check-in & drive-plus-hike to program location at 6:15- 6:30pm.
- Saturday, September 10: Arrive for check-in & drive-plus-hike to program location at 6:00- 6:15pm.
- Full Moon Program is approximately 2.5 hours long.